Wow, August already! This year is flying by. I am juuuust a bit ahead of schedule on my reading challenge this year with 47 books read out of my goal of 78.
July has been incredibly busy for me, and between closing one musical and rehearsing and opening another, I haven’t been reading as much as I’d like lately, but once my current show closes (two more weeks!) I am *jazzed* to spend a little more QT with my shelves.
Most of my reads this month were library books and audiobooks, so I’ll just insert cover photos as necessary. Without further ado, here are the five books I read in July!
- Big Little Lies – Liane Moriarty: I was SO behind the times in picking this one up! I sort of dragged my feet in getting around to it because I didn’t really know what I was about and I was skeptical after hearing that it was being adapted as a series, but in the beginning of the month (on my 2-3 days off between my shows!) I read the book and then fully binged the show’s first season, and I was so hooked! As season one nicely wraps up with the book, I’m not sure I’ll take the plunge to watch season two, but if you’re reading this and you’re a Big Little Lies fan, drop a comment and let me know if I should keep going!!
- Britt-Marie Was Here – Fredrik Backman: This one kind of surprised me! My relationship with Backman author has kind of been journey of discovery, with each book of his I’ve encountered being so totally different from the others while still having this wintery, mystical undertone. I also have to make a slight confession here: I judge books by covers. I don’t really read book jackets because I prefer to encounter as much of the plot in realtime as I can rather than knowing the gist going in, and while all of Backman’s covers are immediately attractive in their simplicity– and also this font that I just find so aesthetically pleasing– there was nothing about this that said, “Pick me! Choose me! Love me!” (any Grey’s fans out there?) but when I decided to embark on the next leg of my Backman journey, I ended up really enjoying Britt-Marie and am excited to read more.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – J.K. Rowling: That’s right, folks, I started a Harry Potter re-read! I’m currently doing a buddy read of these with a pal I met during my first show this summer (read: my friend is *not* holding up his end of the bargain!), and figured it was so fitting to do it now, as Daniel Radcliffe’s birthday AND Harry’s birthday both fell during my re-read! I always love revisiting this world, especially Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix because I end up finding the most hints and foreshadowing in these two installments. The re-read is temporarily on hold because I’ve been so swamped lately and have to make sure I finish the books for both of my book clubs, but as soon as I’ve read those two, I will hop back in with Goblet of Fire. AND at this rate, I should finish the series in perfect time to have a nice autumnal movie marathon! Spooky season is so close!
Well, this wraps up July! Let me know below what you read this month and what’s on your TBR for August!
Happy reading! Xx